Packing for a long distance move – a brief guide
Get a Free Estimate For Your Move
"*" indicates required fields
Have you decided to change your address? You are most certainly not alone, as more than 30 million Americans changed their address in 2018 alone. What you might have noticed is that moving is not easy and that it requires good organization and serious financial planning. Transporting your belongings for a couple of blocks away is not a simple task, let alone moving to another city or state. Luckily for you long distance movers FL are here to help you overcome this huge life event. Nevertheless, people often feel overwhelmed and anxious in the period prior to the relocation. So how to cope with mounting pressure levels? How to stay focused and positive during these turbulent times? Packing for a long distance move is art in its own sense and today we will give away some useful tricks that could save you time, money and nerves. So, grab some snacks and refreshments and let’s get this over with.
Packing for a long distance move requires a good plan
Like everything else in life, relocation requires a good strategy in order to run smoothly. There are several packing rules that important to remember.
- Time you have at your disposal. If you have to move in a hurry and don’t have enough time to pack, it is advisable to hire professional packers FL to this job for you. You can then concentrate on other important tasks that await you.
- Packing order is important. Remember that you are moving long-distance. For this reason, we advise you to firstly pack stuff you don’t use that often. Similarly, boxes with items you use regularly should be clearly marked so you can unpack those boxes as soon as you arrive.
- Prepare an essentials box that will by your side at all times. Considering that you will probably have to spend a night in a hotel, the essentials box should hold all the important documents and stuff you need on a daily basis like cosmetics and clean clothes. Be aware of the delivery time of your belongings and the fact that you could arrive before the moving truck does.
- Organize your belongings. The easiest way to achieve this is to pack room-by-room and to label the boxes accordingly. It will be easier for you to unpack and you will also lower the chances of leaving something behind.
- Don’t pack food. Wine bottles, canned food, and similar products are prone to spilling, going bad and are generally senseless to transport. Why would you increase your moving expenses and risk unfortunate events when you can buy new products when you arrive? Donate or give to your friends or neighbors.
Downsize your belongings before packing for a long distance move
Now is the perfect time to pick what you really want to keep and what is a candidate for a recycling center. Remember that relocation price is composed out of two main factors and these are the distance of your move, and the total weight of your shipment. That being said, if you wish to save some of your money, consider a major overhaul of your belongings. Try to sell everything that you believe is of some value. On the other hand, if you wish to help those in need consider donating some of your stuff. Lastly, throw out everything that is broken, damaged, thorn or stained. Actually, this is the first thing you should do, as it will be easier for you to pack in a clean and organized environment.
Acquire moving supplies
If you wish to pack successfully you will need to get some quality moving supplies. By this, we mean sturdy cardboard boxes, bubble wrap, packing paper, and marker pens. To get cheap moving boxes you can turn to your friends who recently moved, or check the Craigslist. Another good idea is to see if your local supermarket is willing to give you used boxes for free. Anyway, what you must not forget to do is to make a moving inventory. In other words, create a list off all belongings you plan on transporting. Thick them off the list as your moving crew is loading the truck. Because this is a long distance move you need to make sure that all of your boxes are tightly sealed and properly marked. This is especially critical for boxes with fragile items.
Seek professional assistance for specialty items
While you can pack most of your belongings on your own, some items require to be handled by professional moving crews. Simply put, they possess the experience you don’t have as they do this job on a daily basis. Additionally, they have adequate equipment to handle the most difficult relocation tasks. Therefore, proceed to pack your books, clothes and kitchen items, but summon professional assistance for bulky pieces of furniture like chandeliers and pianos. Your goal should be that your belongings arrive safely and in one piece at their destination and reputable moving companies will ensure that this happens.
Start packing for a long distance move on time
Moving long distance is a huge life event. Needless to say, to do it correctly you should give yourself an early start. Imagine the scenario where the moving truck arrives and you are still packing your living room. This is certainly not a recipe for a successful relocation. Therefore, start packing as soon as you decide to move. In the meantime, find a reputable moving company and a quality moving insurance policy. Make a day-by-day packing plan and follow it closely. Call your friends to help you.
Packing for a long distance move doesn’t have to be a tiresome activity if you begin on time and make a good packing plan. Follow our advice closely and you might even turn it into an enjoyable experience.