Big Man's Moving has some useful tips&tricks to help you prepare, pack and move with ease!
Get a Free Estimate For Your Move
"*" indicates required fields
Before your move
One or two months prior
- Reserve Big Man’s Moving Company as soon as you know you are moving. If you need packing assistance, inquire about our white-glove packing service.
- Contact us to purchase moving boxes and necessary packing supplies
- Start to clean out closets, the garage, and attic.
- Host a garage sale or donate your unwanted things to charity.
- Get a change of address cards from your local post office or change your address online.
- Notify magazines, charge accounts, insurance companies, clubs, and all other organizations of your change of address.
One week before the move
- If you decide to pack yourself, label all moving boxes as you pack. Write the destination room on the top and sides of each moving box to ensure it gets to the right place in your new home. If you’re pressed for time or overwhelmed with packing, we offer a white-glove packing service.
- Schedule disconnects for utilities such as gas, electric, water, and the telephone. If you have a landline, do not disconnect it until after your move. Arrange for refunds that are due, and schedule connections for your new residence.
- Cancel or transfer newspapers, Internet, cable TV, security, pest control, cleaning help, lawn maintenance, and any other services you receive.
On the day of the move
- Have everything boxed up, labeled and organized by room.
- If you are looking for a way to save some money, have all of your furniture/beds disassembled and organized.
- Consider loading up your personal vehicle with anything you don’t want to have boxed up or in the truck. Most people don’t want their fragile pictures, vases, lamps, glass fixtures, etc. in boxes. They choose to put those in their vehicles and move that with other odds and ends.
- We will not put gas cans, propane tanks or any combustible substances on our trucks.
- Be sure you’re present when we arrive so you can walk us through the home and indicate what you need to have moved or anything in particular we should be aware of.
- Once all belongings are loaded onto our moving truck, be sure to do one more walk-through and lock all windows and outside doors, in addition to checking all lights and your thermostat are off before heading to your new home.