Moving during the wet season
Get a Free Estimate For Your Move
Imagine planning on moving during the wet season to another apartment, another city, or even another state. It is both exciting and stressful at the same time. Your mind is all over thinking about every single detail.
Packing, transportation, and even the weather report. However, mother nature is always there to surprise us when we at least expect it. As the weather is often unpredictable, you get rain on your already stressful Moving day. But do not worry, because that’s why we are here to give you useful tips & tricks on how to organize and plan your movement during the wet season.
Time to pack your stuff
The best-case scenario would be for the moving truck to come as close to your house/apartment as possible. That way your furniture, clothes and all the other items will not get damaged from the rain. If you are afraid and not able to handle packing, you maybe want to consider hiring professional packers to prepare everything for the moving truck. They for sure have experience in dealing with all kinds of packing especially in the rainy days and they will ensure that your items are well-protected during the moving process.
One of the common questions is should you go with cardboard boxes or plastic boxes? The answer is, both! Bear in mind that cardboard boxes are designed for use in the moving business. But if they are not used and have been stored in your basement for a long time, then you should probably go and get plastic boxes.
Here are some tips if you intend to use cardboard boxes:
- Fill the gaps. You can reinforce the boxes with packing tape around the corners, edges, bottoms, and gaps.
- Wrap it all up. Before placing items in the box, put them in a plastic bag for better protection especially books, photos, clothes, etc.
- Separation is the key. Keep each family member’s clothes separate.
- Grab garbage bags. You can also use garbage bags for the items.
- Protection from the rain. Wrap the boxes into plastic sheets.
- Label the boxes with a permanent marker.
On the other hand, plastic boxes will provide better protection, because water cannot damage the container. Just make sure that you close them tight. Same goes as for cardboard boxes, wrap the items in a plastic bag before putting it in the container for greater protection. Also, a good tip, label items that shouldn’t get wet. Use a brighter permanent marker to write ‘’KEEP DRY’’. That way movers will take ‘’extra care’’ when handling those items.
Protection for your furniture
Furniture is also very delicate, so you will have to take special care of it. It is vulnerable to moisture. The best way to prevent damage on it during rainy days is to disassemble the larger furniture and wrap all the pieces in heavy blankets and plastic wrap. Also do not set the furniture pieces on the wet ground. As soon as you load the furniture onto the truck, remove the additional coverings.
Find a reliable moving company
Now that you are being packed and ready to move, the next really important thing is to find a reliable local moving company during the wet season if your friends don’t want to give you a hand or you just don’t want to bother them. There are several great moving companies Lutz offers.
We suggest a moving company which is surely more secure but also not an easy task. The fact that you are moving, is stressful by itself, especially during the wet season and you don’t need additional stress whether your belongings are going to be damaged, lost, or stolen. That’s why it’s preferable to have insurance just in case your stuff gets damaged or lost. Should you be moving around Florida state we recommend Big Man’s Moving Company as one of the most reliable high-quality services with a great experience.
You should specify the type of insurance in case your things get damaged or lost, will they be repaired, replaced or are you going to be reimbursed.
Also, make a list of all your belongings or take some photos so you can easily note if something is missing, you can just never be cautious enough. One of the most respected moving companies that Florida has to offer is Allied.
Arrive at your new place before the movers do
You should find some time in your moving schedule and arrive at your new home before the movers do. It can make a difference. Use that time to prepare your new home for the movers to unload all your stuff on a rainy day.
- Welcome mat. If you can’t find a mat, any cheap rug should do the job so the movers can wipe their feet on.
- Turn up the heat. The heat will help remove moisture from the air.
- Old towels. Use the old towels that you won’t use anymore. So, the workers can wipe and clean their faces, hands.
- Extra cardboard boxes come always in handy. Use them to create a path on the floor so the movers won’t slip.
- Lay the stuff in one area. The movers should place your stuff right as they enter the house so someone else can relocate the items to the right room.
- Unpack wet cardboard boxes. Cardboard is resistant but if it’s too much in the rain it can fall apart. Should that happen to you, the best thing is to unload them right away.
At the end of the day moving during the wet season has its challenges and you cannot leave the stress out of it. On the other hand, it can be a new experience, and with good preparation as well as our tips & tricks, it can be quite amusing and fun. Good luck!